Bolex EL BATTERY/CHARGER

flavio filho

Guys, I have a problem.

An advertiser sells a lead acid battery+charger that WORKS WITH Bolex, Arriflex, etc. It's advertised on the website (for US$125,00) that is compatible,etc...

THen I was told by email that "the Lead acid battery doesn't work well with the Bolex EL" and I should buy ANOTHER ONE:

12 volt 4500Mah Ni-MH Battery$ 175 .00

12-volt 5-amp Battery. Brand New.

Comes with:

- 4-Pin Female XLR connector & connector built in

- Carry strap (for over the shoulder) and belt loop option

To charge this battery you will need to purchase separately the Ansmann ACS110 Traveler Charger $ 100.00

or I have a Tenergy fast charger $50.00

Isn't it too much money for a battery/Charger? $175.00 + $100.00 for a kit?

Jeeeeeeeeez! Am sure I'm not getting crazy.

ANyway, I have the option to re-cell the battery for $75 + send/return by post, so around $125. The price of the battery I first saw that "says" is compatible, lead acid...

WHAT TO DO????

Guys, I have a problem.

<snip>

12 volt 4500Mah Ni-MH Battery$ 175 .00

12-volt 5-amp Battery. Brand New.

Comes with:

- 4-Pin Female XLR connector & connector built in

- Carry strap (for over the shoulder) and belt loop option

<snip>

WHAT TO DO????

Go back and re-read the thread on putting together a cheap 12V sealed lead-acid battery pack and 4-pin XLR connector for an Arri 16S.

...just replace each occurance of "Arri", with "Bolex" B)

Go back and re-read the thread on putting together a cheap 12V sealed lead-acid battery pack and 4-pin XLR connector for an Arri 16S.

...just replace each occurance of "Arri", with "Bolex" B)

Hi Ian.

Thanks again.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.

But problem is I can't do the battery myself as my camera is in USA and will be converted to Ultra/Overhauled there.

So I have to manage to find a Charger/Battery THERE in USA.

That one for US$ 125.00 was one option I've found that seemed reliable. But now the owner sends me an email saying that battery can cause problems to my EL.... BUT is advertised as "works for Bolex EL"???? For last he said in the email "can not be blamed if any problem happens"!!!

WTF????

Now I'm not sure if I would buy anything from this place...

Still have to manage to find a good priced battery/charger in USA.

PLUS! I have to find another SMALL BATTERY for my ZOOM LENS, the VARIO SWITAR 10-110 POE. Does anybody knows which model is? Or if there's none and have to be re-celled?

Any tips will REALLY help me, please!!!

Thanks,

Flavio

Edited by flavio filho

...But problem is I can't do the battery myself as my camera is in USA and will be converted to Ultra/Overhauled there.

So I have to manage to find a Charger/Battery THERE in USA...

Not sure I quite follow: The camera tech. converting to Ultra-16 doesn't need the battery to carry out the conversion, and even if they did need to run the camera then I'd be very suprised if they didn't have a standard 12V battery and XLR lead of their own they could run the camera from. I'd check the details with the person who is doing the work for you and if they actually need a working battery.

If you intend to use the camera in the UK once it has been converted, then I wouldn't bother buying a charger in the US as unless you are careful you could run up against voltage/frequency problems from the two different country's power supply standards. You also might want to save the cost of shipping a (heavy) lead-acid battery from the USA to the UK if you can! ;)

The camera was originally supplied with a 12V NiCad battery. NiCad cells have a nominal terminal voltage of 1.2V, so 10 cells would give a nominal 12V. Lead acid cells have a nominal terminal voltage of 2.1V, so the closest you'd get would be about 12.6V.

Page 10 of the Bolex EL user manual shows that the camera requires a supply of 10.5V to 13.5V, and not to exceed 16.5V to avoid damage. On that basis a 12V lead acid battery will be fine. It seems originally the camera was available with either an 0.45Ah or a 1.2Ah battery pack.

It's not cheap, but this adapter might be the answer to your problems finding two RM1 batteries to run the power zoom. However, it might be worth trying the LR50 as a much cheaper alternative to start with!!

Hi

Thanks again, Ian.

Thing is the camera is ALREADY in USA. I also can't believe they don't have a battery to test, but that's life. No comments.

I have two options:

1. Buy a battery/charger = US$ 125.00

2. Send it to re-cell = US$79.00 + P&P (around $100.00 or more). Seems the cable is a bit damaged, but it can be checked by the guys will re-cell I think.

Only hhen I can send the camera to be converted. :/

Jean, the CR123 lithium battery is that one you find anywhere?

This one?

So I can send them one of this an would be ok?

That's the one. Easy to find everywhere.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Great, thanks.

But forgot to ask. This goes IN THE ZOOM LENS, is it?

Not sure if there's ANOTHER battery for the lens in the CAMERA BODY that would be necessary re-cell (apart from the main battery of the camera, of course)?

Thanks,

Flavio

Great, thanks.

But forgot to ask. This goes IN THE ZOOM LENS, is it?

Not sure if there's ANOTHER battery for the lens in the CAMERA BODY that would be necessary re-cell (apart from the main battery of the camera, of course)?

Thanks,

Flavio

PLUS, one more for the Bolex Experts.

Does anybody has a picture of an original Bolex EL BATTERY?

I've found a company in California, but they're asking a picture to know if they re-cell (Oh wow...).

I've found some on Google, but not sure if it's that "cylinder" kind of Battery, in a black tape?

Thanks,

Flavio

PLUS, one more for the Bolex Experts.

Does anybody has a picture of an original Bolex EL BATTERY?

I've found a company in California, but they're asking a picture to know if they re-cell (Oh wow...).

I've found some on Google, but not sure if it's that "cylinder" kind of Battery, in a black tape?

Thanks,

Flavio

Have found myself... Of course, in the Bolex EL MANUAL.

Thanks anyway.

Flavio