Camera help.

Matt frederick

I recently picked up a Sankyo XL-400S from a thrift store for $3.00. It is immaculate condition. However it did not have an instruction manual. I would like to sync sound using the Flash method, but I do not know if this camera has the right socket. They are labeled(L-R, top to bottom)

"MON" "AUX" "MIC"

"9V DC" "REM"

I am unsure of the first two.

• Premium Member
I recently picked up a Sankyo XL-400S from a thrift store for $3.00.  It is immaculate condition.  However it did not have an instruction manual.  I would like to sync sound using the Flash method, but I do not know if this camera has the right socket.  They are labeled(L-R, top to bottom) 

"MON" "AUX" "MIC"

"9V DC"  "REM"

I am unsure of the first two.

I'll make a few guesses. MON means "monitor" (as in headphone monitor), AUX means auxilary, could that mean if one was going to send an audio signal line in from a sound source such as a cassette deck or CD player????

MIC means microphone, sometimes the microphone had a switch on it and it sometimes could also stop and start the camera as well.

9V DC is for an external battery supply. Don't just plug any nine volt source in however, if the polarity is reversed it can fry the camera. REM means remote as in remote control.

I'm not experienced enough to tell if you can use the method you want to try. If the remote connector is sending a pulse for every frame, perhaps that is the route you would take.

• Premium Member
No, the REM is for controlling the camera remotely.

What you are looking for is a slightly odd-looking socket with a lightning bolt next to it.

My Eumig has both a remote connector and an additional lightning flash connector right next to it. I had a digital frame counter added to my camera and it is actually plugged into the flash connector, the pulses from the camera drives the frame counter.

The flash connector opening looks identical to a conventional 35mm camera flash connector.