Doug Hart's Maine Media Workshop

So I have been out of film school about a year and I was pondering going to the AC Workshop in Maine if it has any spaces available. I have AC'ed a feature and a couple spec commercials on the RED and EX-1 but nothing substantial enough and I have not worked with some cameras that are in use today. (Alexa, Epic and 35mm etc.)I feel like it could be a way to gain a lot of knowledge and comfort with these cameras and the job in general in order to confidently say I know what I am doing and have worked with certain cameras.

Has anybody gone? If so was it a good experience, did it help you learn equipment? Was it worth the 2000 plus dollars it will cost to fly out there and pay tuition and all that?

Save your money, visit some rental houses, and see if they'll let you get to know the cameras. It's mutually beneficial, and most houses are open to it. It's also a chance to meet some of your area AC's, some of whom you could probably apprentice for and learn the realities of AC'ing.

Has anybody gone? If so was it a good experience, did it help you learn equipment? Was it worth the 2000 plus dollars it will cost to fly out there and pay tuition and all that?

Not to deny Jonathan's suggestion to get in touch with rental houses and train there, but Doug's workshop is not a substitute for that. It's not like you finish the workshop in Maine and you're a first-class AC ready to be hired on the biggest studio features, but I think it was really really really worth it. I had some previous on-set experience, but I learned A LOT and it gave me more confidence regarding the things I already knew.

I can only speak for what it was for me, but it was a truly wonderful experience.

• Premium Member

I went on a grant I obtained from school. It was a great experience but nothing I wouldn't have learned in my first few jobs, just condensed into a week.

I went on a grant I obtained from school. It was a great experience but nothing I wouldn't have learned in my first few jobs, just condensed into a week.

(I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, you were in the same class with George, Tasos, Chris and Billy, and you left right after the camera operator workshop, am I right? You shoud've asked for more grants that summer, Chris! I know your class was a blast, but the following 4 weeks were just as amazing) :-)