Alexa battery warning question

Chris Keth

• Premium Member

I'm on a show with two alexas and on fresh batteries, the low-battery warning will still flash periodically. It's a very on-off thing, it doesn't stay on for more than a second. It's made the assistants wary of believing the low-battery level warnings when the battery really is going low.

Anybody know why this happens?

I have the low-battery level set to 12V, perhaps the accessories are putting enough load to drop the voltage below 12V for an instant before the battery can respond with more juice?

• Premium Member

Is it happening on both Alexas, with all batteries? I doubt a fresh battery would drop below 12V due to the extra load of a few accessories.

Aside from a possibly faulty battery, there could be a firmware upgrade problem. We've had issues when the upgrade is not fully ingested, so the camera is running on a combination of old and new firmware. The low battery warning program was part of the last upgrade, so it could be affected by an incomplete transfer.

It might be worth redoing the firmware upgrade, and seeing if the problem goes away. Remember to go through the menu and do a factory reset before hand.

I would suggest to arri for their next firmware revision that they have the low batt warning appear only if the voltage has dropped below the threshold and stays there for a few seconds. That way, transient drops in voltage won't trigger the warning.