diy motion control?

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes. A friend of mine and I were talking about motion control systems. He was wanting to work with miniatures and wondered if there were any diy schematics out there. Crazy question ir is there something out there?

hmmm,

It depends !

How many axes of movement and what sort of articulation are you looking for - a simple 1 axis slider or a gantry driven telescoping crane the size of a studio ?

What sort of scale, speed, accuracy ?

What size/weight camera ? Snorkel lens systems in your price range ?

Do you want to interface the output with 3D programs ?

What sort of initial input UI are you expecting ?

What sort of cash are you willing to sink into it ?

Can you program computers ?

Do you have access to machining equipment that you know how to operate ?

Too many questions!

oh and there's always google:

http://openmoco.org/forum/94

...although the scale of the stuff they talk about there is a little on the small side ;)

• Premium Member

Our electronics tech has designed and made his own motion control rig, with a little help from my machine shop. It's a 2 metre slider with a 2 axis head. Works brilliantly for lighter weight cameras. It's on his website at synccine.com.

But basically, if you're not an electronics wiz, with good computing skills and an understanding of fine mechanics, who also happens to have access to a machine shop and a machinist, forget about it.

I see your tech uses Kuper. Kevin, without a Kuper card and its attendant realtimeOS capability or some kind of CNC hack you're going to have potential latency issues with the I/O when Windows, OSX and even Linux (in its vanilla form) decides to log onto facebook laugh.gif

We use it at work - two cards - although it looks very similar to the theatre automation stuff I've used (Q-motion and APC) and at a base level its dead simple I'm still in the learning bracket when it comes to its insides.

• 6 months later...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes. A friend of mine and I were talking about motion control systems. He was wanting to work with miniatures and wondered if there were any diy schematics out there. Crazy question ir is there something out there?

Hi, I work with Dom who replied to this.

I've spent the year making sofware and hard controller for motion control.

Just updating my web site www.synccine.com with details.

A PC based real time motion control software system, with 8 or 16 channel output unit.

Step / direction output to 500khz, or can supply a unit with RS232 output,

- similar to Kuper or Lynx, enter keyframes , smooth move, import / export ascii files.

- wheels input option, bloop LED, sound sync, camera sync input etc

also a joystick input controller with digital memory for record / repeat

Glenn