Newbie - Camera Help

faye_smith

Hi...

I was interesting in making no-budget films for a hobbey with friends, I havn't done anything like this before though... does anyone know a dirt cheap video camera, new or used, that's a good one (£)

I would like it to be in sync and easy to use. And newish so i'm able to edit with my computer... if possible for a cheap one. :blink:

Any tips? :D

Hey Faye,

Your question may have been answered here before. Check the archives. This site covers almost every aspect of cinematography and videography - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you want more of a 'film look' that sort of resembles home video footage from the 60's-70's, you could pick up a super-8mm film camera. yeah, you need to buy and have the film exposed but it may give you a nice look that compliments your story. And they're pretty cheap too (i've seen them go for 15$-1,000$ on Ebay)... if you're interested in a larger format, you could get a 16mm camera for around 200+$ on Ebay. Look for a Krasnogorsk 3 or a Bolex. Or you could sell a kidney and buy a nice 35mm package + a few rolls of decent film. As usual, it's totally up to you.

As far as sync sound and editing on your computer are concerned, I think you'd be better off with a video camera/camcorder. A cheap one of those can be had for a few hundred bucks on, yep, Ebay.

Good luck and have fun!!!

:D

-Jon

• Premium Member

Hello faye,

Welcome to the forum. John Fauer,ASC has written several books that apply

to amateur and pro video formats. You can find his books listed at the ASC

web site- www.theasc.com, go to the video books section of ASC Store. Of

course you can research subjects on-line also. Best regards for your success.

You may get more assistance by posting at the video section of our forum.

Greg Gross

Film 7 Productions

Professional Photographer

Student Cinematographer

Don't forget to check your dailies for:

1. scratches

2. out of focus frames

3. flaring

I prefer the title of just Photograper no matter what format.

Greg Gross

gotta watch that mag scratch on that PD170.

he wants a video camera, I'd recommend getting this little tiny 3-chip in circuit city for around 500 bucks, real cheap and decent image. It's still miniDV but you aren't planning to make the next blockbuster right? well actually, I suppose you could, those crazy people did it with vx2000 and pd150 on open water...it looked horrible but, they made some money on it so my power to them! check out B&H Photo/Video they have a good used department, try ebay too. and dont forget to check the gate on these little cameras...they bad at that! hahaha

I've seen a Krasnogorsk-3 16mm for £89.99 ... that sounds good to me?

I wonder how I can scrape that together in 2 days :blink:

Here's some cameras I can get my hands on ;) - Could someone take a look :D

(goes from cheapest to dearest)

Canon 318 8mm Movie Camera

Sony video camera 8mm CCD F550E

Panasonic M5 VHS Movie Video Camera

Nizo FA3 8mm Cine Camera