Video Take Off for Canon 7D

Darren Wertheim

I'm currently in pre production on a micro-budget feature film. We are shooting the film on 2 Canon 7D's.

The problem I'm having at the moment is finding a good enough video take off for the director to watch and to playback takes. I used the EOS utility on my macbook pro on a previous shoot. This is good enough for viewing but unfortunately it doesn't allow playback.

I'm looking for any suggestion for possible applications for mac or any other ideas for cheap ways to have live video and playback from the Canon 7D.

I will appreciate any sort of suggestions.

Many Thanks

Darren Wertheim

• 2 months later...

Darren

Using EOS utility via USB does not allow you to see the movement smoothly, due to the data transfer via USB 2.0 is not enough for the HD bit flow... And of course you don't get playback. Best way to do is, get an external HD monitor with HDMI input. Use that as monitor and you control the playback on the camera. Thats the low-cost solution for you.

Also keep that in mind that Canon DSLR don't have uncompressed HDMI output signal for any HDMI uncompressed media recorder. It's been tested by Zacuto this year in the The great camera shootout 2011