ARRI SR pistol grip issue

Wiki Park

I am working on some handheld filming with my arri sr. The on and off switch had worked before, but today when I tried using it, it is not responding for some reason. I'd like to think that I didnt do anything that would damage the electronics of the grip, but this is very important for me because i am doing on-the-go guerrilla style shooting. Would anyone have any troubleshooting advice that may explain my pistol grip not working all of a sudden? Maybe inadequate power source from the camera itself? any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• Premium Member

The most likely explanation is a break in the cable, usually around where it enters the pistol grip body. (It's clamped by a grub screw, which was never a great idea). If that's the case, when you jiggle the cable at this point with the switch on you might find the camera stutters up.

The other break point is at the plug. Unfortunately the plug is filled with resin so re-terminating it is a pain, and a replacement cable from Arri is ridiculously expensive - nearly $400 last time I checked!

The switches themselves on the SR pistol grips wear over time and sometimes don't engage properly, but you would notice that. Electronically they are very simple, the switch just shorts two wires to close the circuit.

• Premium Member

Can you solder?

If it's a break at the pistol grip end of the cable, you can remove the switch (undo the lock ring at it's base) and desolder the wires. Then undo the grub screw clamping the cable where it enters the pistol, and pull the cable out. Then cut out the broken section, rejoin the wires with solder and put a bit of heat shrink over them. Refit it all, clamping the cable a bit further up from your join, so the join is inside the pistol grip.

I'm presuming you've checked that the camera runs without the pistol grip, right?