New to Developing Own Film (Super 8)

i recently got my hands on a Bell & Howell model 306 Automatic Super 8 film camera along with the projector. I just ordered some Kodak 7285 EKTACHROME 100D SUPR-8 SILENT 50' film for the camera, and it should be in in a few days.

i really can't wait to start using this camera, but really would love to develop this on my own instead of sending it out. i know it may be hard and tedious but this is more of a hobby of mine and i would take much more pride in developing it myself.

i've tried looking on the forums here for someone with good instructions on how to develop your own film, but i can't seem to find anything. I've also been googling it for the past 3 days and i just can't find anything or anyone who has a clear description on how a newbie like me would do this.

if anyone can help me out here that would be amazing!

also, has anyone tried using those simple little 35mm transfer machines you can buy for like 50 bucks as a substitution for transferring film onto the computer? Yea i know it may take a log time but in theory for me it should work. it would just be a very large photo and i'd have to crop it down a bunch, but in theory should it still work?

• Premium Member

There are some very old tanks taht turn up from time to time, from Both "superior Bulk Film" and the Soviet LOMO firm. You have to read the fine print to ensure you find the right hardware for Single/Super 8 rather then Double 8/16mm.

There are kits for the E-6 Process that Ektachrome needs. Temp must be controlled closely.

Trick with a transfer is keeping the relation between the frames and the sprocket hole constant. and getting enough pixels in use..

have fun, but there is a reason that exclusive film and Frame discrete (to name one pair of labs) have customers.

E6 kits tend to be sold in larger 5L packs nowadays - took me 6 months to get one in the country last time ;)

Try speaking to Kodak directly about them ...

Is it all you need ?? no, you need a spiral tank (yes, Lomo ones can work) - and as has been mentioned but I thought it best to reiterate - a constant temperature bath system, for both the film tank and the chems going in and out... Expect a wet mess !

There are other ways, but this will probably be the best route to success for a keen beginner