Core on the "take-up" side...question

Eric F Adams

On this SR2 S16, the 'take up' side has a fancy metal core with a nice little clap to secure the film. I am not familiar with this and I certainly dont believe I will ship this with the film. lol. My question is... while in the changing bag, do i just remove this metal core and insert a plastic one prior to putting it in the can? Gosh, that appears to be one extra step. I would just put a plastic core in its spot, but I don't have a core adapter. Could someone fill me in on how to go about this fancy core? Pic is attached.. Thanks in advance.

post-49796-0-78834200-1307143103.jpg

• Premium Member

Yeah, that's about $400 new from Arri, I think... Been awhile since I bought one. You can pull it off and put the film in the can as normal. Just write "NO CORE" on the can before you send it to the lab. My SR3 has 'em and I used them for awhile, till, well, I got a ton of extra cores. Nice to have in a pinch, though, if-- let's say, the core you had happens to roll someplace....and you, like an idiot, didn't bring any extra ones so you could fit your damned point and shoot in a pocket.... not that that's ever happened to me before or anything.

That is the ARRI collapsable core. The Idea is that sometimes the regulate core gets stuck on the spindle a bit and the film can cone as you remove it from the mag. It is definitely better to stick a regular 2" core inside there after you pull off the film. Otherwise the stick could unspool some in the center and then the lab may end up scratching some film when they try to insert a. Core (which they have to do).

That is the ARRI collapsable core. The Idea is that sometimes the regulate core gets stuck on the spindle a bit and the film can cone as you remove it from the mag. It is definitely better to stick a regular 2" core inside there after you pull off the film. Otherwise the stick could unspool some in the center and then the lab may end up scratching some film when they try to insert a. Core (which they have to do).

Mitch, would it matter that the end of the film is not placed in the little slit located on the core once i insert the plastic core in the film? cause that would be hard to do in my little changing bag...lol, I have enough to do in that bag as it is...

Thanks,

Eric