Fuji Film stock choice

If you are shooting in 16mm and Kaurismaki is shooting in 35mm, you already have a bigger difference than that between Kodak and Fuji, so don't worry so much about it - it's not the Kodak stock that gives his films a particular look, that's a small part of it. I'd say that lighting and production design have a bigger impact of the look.

Thanks for your advice, but I do understand that production design is the prominent factor in achieving any sort of aesthetic, but my question was about the film stock specifically.

My question was with regards to the elements beyond production design, if there is any way to achieve a closer aesthetic through film stock I want to employ it. Of course I am not purely going to depend on film stock choice to achieve this look. I am only asking about this because that is the element I need advice on. I also understand there will be a difference in 16 and 35 but I am also not trying to replicate a Kaurismaki film. I was using him as a reference. I would like to believe that even within the 16mm realm there are certain film stocks that will better realize what i am going for. Thank you for your concerns though.

• 3 months later...

I am planning to shoot short film and I am in the process of choosing the appropriate film stock. I am going for the Aki Kaurismaki type look with strong colors, but not overly contrasted. I really like the look of the Fuji 500D and I was wondering what other film stock would accompany this stock well with indoor scenes, perhaps other daytime outdoor scenes. I would appreciate it a lot if you anyone with advice can input on the difference in quality between the 250D, 250T, and 160T. Any input/preference/info would be much appreciate. Thank!

I actually just posted some tests of their 250 D here: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=53650