flashback sequence in the limey

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

I'm looking to do a flashback sequence and I wanted to achieve a similar look with the lights flaring as in these two shots. Is it done by changing the shutter? I'm assuming its in-camera. I'd also be looking for a similar level of saturation (although different colour temp.). If the scene was lit with practicals (its an external at night, the lights being visible chinese lanterns) would the same effect be achievable?

Thanks alot,

Keith

P.S after rewatching the Limey, I couldn't help but wish that Soderbergh hadn't decided to go alone with his cinematography Ed Lachman's work on this film is beautiful.

• Premium Member

The vertical streaked highlights are created by throwing the camera's shutter slightly out of phase with the film movement (also notable in Saving Private Ryan). Some cameras like the Panavison Mellinium (I believe) will allow for this, but other cameras may need to be modified get the same results. This apparently was the case with The Limey's Moviecam Compacts.

The brighter the highlights and the longer the shutter is open during the film pulldown, the more pronounced the effect. This is the type of thing you have to test to get the level of effect you desire.

Lachman's strong colors are pretty much a trademark of his films, sometimes shooting uncorrected under odd color temperatures, and often helping along the color with some pretty saturated gels. I worked with an actor who's a friend of Mr. Lachman, and he related a story about him wanting to have his car painted some intense shade of yellow...

• Premium Member

If you're keying off the practicals in the frame then they're likely to be pretty overexposed, so I would expect they would streak pretty easily with a mis-timed shutter. But again, you'll have to test the amount of shutter offset and highlight exposure to get the result you want.