everything look soft focus or out of focus at all

Guest ariel

Guest ariel

I shot a 16m"m short film with Arri sr2, with 2 lenses 16 and 25, both are zeiss prime high speed.

this is not the first film I do with this equipment but this is the first time that everything look soft focus or out of focus at all. In the past I got very good sharp images from this camera and lenses, but this time... poop! What can it be?

There were times that what seems in my eyes sharp did not match the meter scale on the lens. I usually do the focus with my eyes using strong light on the object and of course for doing the focus I open the iris as wide as it possible. In the other films that I shot it usually match the meter scale. but I always preferred to trust my eyes, Is it a mistake?

What can make this problem? Can it be some kind of problem with the ground glass? I took it out sometimes but of course I put it back inside, properly, I think.

help.. anybody?

REL

• Premium Member

Is ANYTHING in the image in sharp focus? If so, you may have just focused incorrectly. Did you check out the camera and lenses before the shoot? Any chance the film was threaded incorrectly, so it didn't seat in the gate properly? :(

If the ground glass was removed and put back in incorrectly, the viewfinder image might not represent what was being shot. Did you focus by eye, and check the focus with the lens distance markings?

Guest Ultra Definition

If you flip over ground glass and the ground glass is one mm thick, you'll be focusing to an imaginary plane that is 1 mm off the film plane.