Arri 2b vs Arri BL2 for HD Music Video

Gary Robinson

Hi Guys,

I have an Arri BL2 and an Arri 2b (with way more mags and easier to shoot with). If I'm transferring the 35mm footage to HD, how big of quality difference will I see after the transfer with the BL2 vs 2B? Looking at a previous film, the 2B has borders between the frames while the BL2 is almost solid images with just a very small line between the frames. I"m using the same lens on both.

Thanks,

Gary Robinson

www.sharpcut.com

Edited by Gary Robinson

• Premium Member

The biggest factor is how well maintained and adjusted they both are. A tuned-up II-B will way outperform a thrashed BL.

But assuming they're in equally OK shape, the BL has pin registration, so should be somewhat steadier. If this is only for video, that won't matter much. Of course, the BL is significantly quieter, but you knew that already. Given that you own them both, bring them both.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Because the Arri 2B captures a smaller image, when cropped for 16x9 will it look much grainier?

No, you'll be cropping the frame height to get 16x9 anyway. As long as the width is the same, a slight difference in the original frame height is irrelevant.

• Premium Member

The Arri I, II-A and II-B were all Academy aperture. The BL could be either Super or Academy. The difference in grain pattern will be quite small, but definitely there. It's a matter of taste, you really have to shoot tests and decide. Or, cheaper, just take an existing piece of Super-35 and telecine both full width and academy crops to compare.

-- J.S.