Hey all

I am a 16 year old filmer who dreams of becoming a cinematographer in the future... I have been working on films for about a year and a half and have met some really cool people through out my time... I have worked on 11 projects so for mainly being shorts, a PSA, Music videos, and cover videos. Recently i have been working with youtube musicians on cover videos and music videos. Mostly all of them i have DP'd myself and directed one music video. Plus two "higher" budget music videos as a PA and AC on the RED. I am having a blast so far in the filmmaking community and enjoy every minute of IT! (except the stress)hahah

But all of the projects I have done, my lighting has not been the greatest it can be and i really need some pointers on the way to look at a location and figure out how to light it. I know it takes a lot of practice and experience but i was wondering if there are some little gold nuggets of information to help me out. And since i have been doing some paying jobs lately I want to buy some lights to practice with on future projects. But i just dont know what to pick. Since I have a nice little dslr package going i really want to get my lighting set up higher up. So let me know if you have some INFO for me!

• 3 months later...

Maybe you can show us some examples, so that we know where you are coming from, and might be able to get an idea about where you want to go with your lighting. Everyone will light differently, maybe with minor corrections you will be able to achieve what you want to achieve. It would be better for us to help you find your way to lighting than for us to impose our way of lighting on you.