using DSR-DU1 with Cinealta

David Fowlkes

I have had a problem getting the unit to start and stop with the camera. I have timecode running into the maranda but it does not seem to send it to the video disk. I am able to record by manually starting and stoping the unit when rolling but would like to have the unit sync with the camera. The manual does not mention the Cinealta but does give specific menu instructions for other cameras.

• Premium Member

Hi,

It would be up to the downconvertor, in these cases, to turn timecode and machine control information from whatever format you're giving it and turning it into embedded video-over-1394 information. I wouldn't be astonished to find it wasn't doing that, as people do have a nasty habit of writing off firewire as an amateur format. And how exactly are you giving the convertor machine-control information from the F900?

Phil

That is exactly the problem. I am feeding the time code to the Miranda from the camera. I was under the impression that this would start and stop the video disk. It does not. The best answer I have gotten in talking with reps is that I must manually start and stop the unit. The Video disk was not designed for the Cinealta and so I don't think they can comunicate.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I am feeding the time code to the Miranda from the camera. I was under the

> impression that this would start and stop the video disk.

Well no, that's timecode, not device control. I guess it might be feasible to detect the timecode starting to increment and start recording based on that, and that'd be an interesting thing for them to do, but it'd be an unusual approach.

This of course presupposes that the Miranda puts the timecode out on the 1394. Quite a large proportion of things don't.

Unfortunately you are in more or less the sort of situation I'd have expected. The metadata always breaks down!

Phil