Ramifications of shooting 24fps and 25fps

Phil Thompson

hello,

Looks like I will have two Konvas 2M's one by the genius Olex which is crystal set to 25fp (amongst others). The other has older motor with 24fps. I doubt we will ever be getting a film print (would love too).

Are there any problems with shooting 24fps and 25fps and mixing them?

Cheers

Phil

• Premium Member

hello,

Looks like I will have two Konvas 2M's one by the genius Olex which is crystal set to 25fp (amongst others). The other has older motor with 24fps. I doubt we will ever be getting a film print (would love too).

Are there any problems with shooting 24fps and 25fps and mixing them?

Cheers

Phil

Sure, you have a problem shooting sync dialogue on both cameras if you don't pick one or the other, 24 or 25, as the standard frame rate. There may be some flicker issues if the AC light has a hertz pulse to it, depending on if you are in a 60 Hz or 50 Hz country.

• Premium Member

For MOS shooting, no problem except for the potential light flicker issue. Or, you could look at that as a feature, not a bug. No matter what the lighting frequency, you have one of the two cameras that will work with it. With non-flickering sources, you can use both.

If you want sync sound, you've made yourself a bunch of hoops to jump through. You could go out with two separate sound recorders, one for 24/60 and another for 25/50. Or you could pay in post to get the track re-sampled for the other camera. But the 2M is a noisy beast, not well suited to sync in the first place.

Probably the best thing would be to get another motor, so you can run both at the correct speed for the electrical system of the country you're shooting in. In the long run, that would be the cheapest choice.

-- J.S.