Just bought a NIkon R8 in "BGN" Condition from KEH

Mark Sperry

It was listed in BGN condition with a note that the meter door battery is cracked. The salesman said the camera works, and that it should just be a small crack. He also said that I have a trial period and a warrenty so I'm not too worried. But should I want to replace the battery door are they a standard type or will they be hard to come by? The camera will arrive next week and I am excited! I hate that my 481 Macro won't meter for more films, which is why I wanted the Nikon.

I'm also debating whether I want to sell my Nizo 481 Macro. I got the R8 for $235, which I think is a pretty good price.

It isn't easy to find a replacement battery door, but a crack in the plastic won't affect the operation. When I got my R8, I had to cut a new coin hole in with a Dremel tool in order to get the compartment open, as the batteries corroded so much that it softened the plastic.

It isn't easy to find a replacement battery door, but a crack in the plastic won't affect the operation. When I got my R8, I had to cut a new coin hole in with a Dremel tool in order to get the compartment open, as the batteries corroded so much that it softened the plastic.

Well that's good news! Hopefully the rest of the camera checks out. I'm thrilled I didn't have to spend more.

If the NIKON R8 you purchased works well, then that was a good price. Although, they have sold for less on eBay, but then you have KEH Camera's reputation which is a good one. The R8 can be somewhat complex to use, so I suggest getting the owner's manual (which I recommend for most any camera user since even if only one task is helped by the manual, it's well worth buying....versus a drastic failure with the cost of film and processing).

The NIZO S-481 is a great camera, and somewhat more compact and lighter than the NIKON R8. Also, it is only one of a few Super 8mm cameras that offers not only Time Lapse (2fps to 1 frame per minute), BUT also offers LONG Time Exposures automatically per frame from 1/10th second down to 1 minute! This can be amazing to use, as I have shot under a full bright moon using KODACHROME and gotten great results in the past.

Actually, I think all Super 8 filmmakers/shooters/artists should consider having several cameras:

[1]. main production camera (like your NIKON R8 or similar)

[2]. one for unique tasks (such as what the NIZO can do)

[3]. a small compact travel camera (could be as simple as the CHINON Pocket-8, Chinon 132P XL/133P XL, ELMO 310 XL, ELMO 103T, SANKYO EM-30XL/EM40XL or similar ones. Some are more limited these days due to ISO speeds, but concessions can be made on some cameras if needed.

[4]. a beater camera...one that won't be a big loss if it gets damaged or totalled for those unique shots such as duct-taped to the side of a car for chase scenes or to a motorcycle or bicycle or skatboard, or for those falling off a building shots etc.

[5]. a camera for complex tasks such as double exposures, titling, film duplication, lens interchangability for super long telephoto or ultra wide angle shots or for microscope or telescope filming. Depending on your needs or desires, it could easily take 2 different type cameras for these purposes.

ADDENUM: ALSO...the compact zoom lens size on the NIZO S-481 allows for easy use of accessory addon lenses: fisheye adapter (or make your own via expoxing a door viewer to a lens cap drilled out to fit, telephoto addon lenses made for many video cameras....really extend the super telephoto effect here without using a lens-interchangable camera, ease of using Matt Boxes, Filter Adapters, and of course for WIDESCREEN filming...it's the perfect size for Anamorphic lens use (since many of the various 1.5x adn especially 2x lenses mate well to this camrea).

I'll end this here, as I'm drifting off topic already, sorry.

EPIC FAIL: on the part of KEH. All they told me was that the meter door had a crack, which it does, and the crack doesn't matter at all. However what they DIDN'T tell me is that the diopter system is broken to the point where you can't make a sharp image in the viewfinder. Also the rust and corrosion on one of the contacts in the grip makes the power supply unreliable at best.

I'm extremely disappointed with KEH. Their BGN condition is not supposed to be BROKEN. I either have to send it back for my money back or find a repair place in NYC. I'm not sure what to do though. Just from handling it I can see that it's pretty awesome, at least the parts that work are.

UGH!!! They are going to hear from me tomorrow, and I feel sorry for that customer service rep.

• 4 months later...