Recording for DVD

Praetorian

Uhm...okay.

So a friend and I are shooting a "band" to eventually be made into a DVD. Do we just shoot and edit like we would if it were going to be a regular DV, or is there a special way to do it?

We are not making the DVD, just the shooting and editing the footage for it.

Edited by Phantom's_Christine

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yes, shoot and edit as normal. The only slight potential complication in NTSC-land is if you're shooting a 24p format, but then it's only a case of making a phone call to whoever's mastering the disc and asking how they'd prefer it supplied.

Phil

If you're shooting with a regular miniDV consumer camera (as opposed to the DVX100A, the XL2, or higher) you will probably just be shooting minDV, and you won't have to worry about it.

24p is a way of recording video that replicates a little more closely the 24 frame per second look of film.

Ok thanks.

I have no idea what kind of equipment the Mass Comm dept. will loan me. It might be a DV handheld, or it might be some better equipment. It depends on the availability. As a freshman, I really don't have priority.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The thing here is that unless you have a very specific reason to want to shoot 24p, then you probably shouldn't - if you're just doing documentary or whatever. The motion renderng is substantially better in normal video modes, particularly in NTSC, and the aesthetic is much more suitable for documentary work. Practically all cameras that're capable of 24p will also do 30i (normal NTSC) so you're fine.

Basically, unless you know you want it, you don't want it.

Phil

Har har har!

Welcome to our world!

You'd better get used to it if you want to be in this business.

This is what pre-planning is all about:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Just wait until you make a low-budget feature.

You will start thinking there's a global conspiracy to keep you from finishing your film...

Matt Pacini