What filter to use

Lisette Garza

Hey you all,

I am currently planning to help a friend shoot his film we found this amazing location. It is mostly rocks so tan, very light, i guess the color is that of sand.

Well we are looking to shoot on fuji 64d and want to add a little bit more color make the sandy tone a bit darker even a hint of red-brown, but subtle. We are considering the tobacco filter because the characters are Mexican-American as well....

Do you all recommend anything else....

Suggestions?

• Premium Member
Hey you all,

I am currently planning to help a friend shoot his film we found this amazing location. It is mostly rocks so tan, very light, i guess the color is that of sand.

Well we are looking to shoot on fuji 64d and want to add a little bit more color make the sandy tone a bit darker even a hint of red-brown, but subtle. We are considering the tobacco filter because the characters are Mexican-American as well....

Do you all recommend anything else....

Suggestions?

For that darker tone perhaps a high con filter.

G.

Hi- I'm very fond of Tiffen's chocolate filters for that sort of thing

there's a frame grab on my hopelessly out-of-date website from a short i shot up at Vasquez Rocks where we used a very light chocolate (i think #1 or 2) to give the sort of effect you might be talking about...it's at www.maxfilm.net in the "still frames" page, part way down, the guy in the orange jump suit.

Thanks you all....

Well, the director has changed his mind and our casting has changed as well. Now we are looking at blowing out the almost bleached rocks for this we are considered a Sepia 1 shooting at an 11 with a 16 reading we are also considering using a black promist to give a little luminance to the sky....

What do you all think of that.....

We are film students so i guess we are experimenting.

hi again- shooting only a stop over won't blow out anything, it will just give you a richer negative- you would have to overexpose over three stops to start making a real difference, but then, you could also just shoot clean and have the magical telecine person give you a great, contrasty blown out look.

(thanks, jonathan!)

hi again-  shooting only a stop over won't blow out anything, it will just give you a richer negative- you would have to overexpose over three stops to start making a real difference, but then, you could also just shoot clean and have the magical telecine person give you a great, contrasty blown out look.

(thanks, jonathan!)

This is the question i always have, but perhaps that is just because i have been doing photography for too long so can't get it off my head.

I always figure if i have film underexposed 1/2 stop, it gives better contrast and colour, and it actually is. but i 'm not sure if this theory work on motion picture as well or i'm just trying to be a smart ass. if it's not in what range of stops is the most acceptable exposure range

• Premium Member
This is the question i always have, but perhaps that is just because i have been doing photography for too long so can't get it off my head.

I always figure if i have film underexposed 1/2 stop, it gives better contrast and colour, and it actually is. but i 'm not sure if this theory work on motion picture as well or i'm just trying to be a smart ass. if it's not in what range of stops is the most acceptable exposure range

That only works with reversal film, not color negative.

If you really want to take advantage of the Black Pro Mist filter. I would over expose in camera rather than telecine. Highlights that are 3 or 4 stops over will look really nice, giving you a glow. How much glow depends on the strength of the filter. do some tests if you can.