Getting on the dole

I'm a DP in NYC (big ups to brooklyn) but I get paid work mostly as an AC. I've only been in the industry for about 8 months, and work's been good, but there are still long periods of unemployment.

Up until now, I've been getting temp office work to fill in the gaps, but it's somewhat difficult because I've had to say no to gigs when I had temp job commitments, and it seriously blows answering the phone at the law firm when you could be out shooting.

Anyway, my question is: Is there anybody who's gotten on unemployment in NY recently? I'm not sure of all the bureaucracy involved since I'm a freelance person, and what (if any) special forms I need, etc. If anybody has suggestions, experience or knows of good resources for us occasionally employed types, please let me know.

Thanks!

RMFB :ph34r:

Guest Frank Gossimier

Are you sure you're not Canadian?

If you really want to benefit from the dole...simply move to one of Canada's Atlantic provinces like Nova Scotia, then you can collect the dole for six months of the year, EVERY year!

I'm not making this up!

To easily become legally eligable, come to Canada and apply for "refugee status". Base your claim on the fact that you are fleeing the tirany of George W Bush, the Canadian gov't will welcome you with open arms!! They HATE Bush!!

Frank

Haha. Whoo. That's rich, unemployment in New York. I had to leave my daytime gig a couple months ago, and I figured, well, it will take me probably a week to find something else, possibly more. I do a lot of freelance work, so the loss of the job wasn't life-threatening. At any rate, I figured, I pay unemployment insurance just in case this sort of thing happens, and things were a little tight. So I applied for the unemployment just to hold me over in case I didn't find work right away. That was two months ago, and last week I got a notice that they're still trying to decide what to do about it. Obviously I've moved on and found something else, but if I'd really had to depend on that unemployment money, I'd have been screwed.

Likewise, a couple years ago I was run down by a car, got busted up pretty badly and couldn't work, and that's when I found out that social security disability is really just for old people and morbidly fat people who don't feel like working anymore. I don't think there is any sort of government program for hard working people who have had an emergency.

In other words, don't bother. Unemployment is a fallacy. If you get really bad off and you have to, apply for something like food stamps or housing vouchers. I don't know what the application process for that is like, but all the lazy unemployable jerks in my neighborhood get it, so it can't be too hard.

Guest Frank Gossimier

"and that's when I found out that social security disability is really just for old people and morbidly fat people who don't feel like working anymore. I don't think there is any sort of government program for hard working people who have had an emergency."

Oh my gosh you sound like a fellow conservative!!

This is a moving moment for me, I thought I was the only one :rolleyes:

Well with the US now 43 trillion in debt I doubt the feds are in much of a mood to hand out "free money" to too many people.

I love the part about "morbidly fat people", hey in America you can EAT your way to benefits, now that's a classic.

Frank

PS: This statement is further proof of your conservative nature...

" but all the lazy unemployable jerks in my neighborhood get it, so it can't be too hard."

I don't think a Democrat would talk like that :D

Haha. It's true. The older I get the more I find myself saying things my grandparents used to say. I think it happened the year I was working two jobs to pay for college tuition and eating bologna sandwiches for dinner, then I'd come home and the people in my neighborhood were having "food stamp barbecues". I guess something snapped. I once heard someone say that everyone who's liberal and idealistic in college becomes conservative when they start paying taxes.

Guest Frank Gossimier

"I guess something snapped. I once heard someone say that everyone who's liberal and idealistic in college becomes conservative when they start paying taxes. "

Isn't that the truth!

"Free" is a good concept until you're the one making it free for other people.

I always have a good laugh when Canadians and Amercians talk about the "poor."

You mean the poor that ALWAYS have money for smokes, beer, and bingo, those "poor" people?

When one travels to a third world country and sees people who make their living picking through a garbage dump all day, "poor" takes on a whole mew meaning.

Frank.

• 4 weeks later...

https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/index.jsp

I believe unemployment is based on your previous 18 months of work and may be differnet in another state. So if you have been paying into it when you ar working you may as well take advantage of it when you are not. You need your stubs and employers organized to give them all of your info. Just do it. It may keep food on your table or help with the rent.