Negative exposure appears okay but colours are not

Patrick Cooper

Here's a snake I enountered on my family's rural property in South Australia during a walk. My father came close to accidentally stepping on it but spotted it just in time! It's likely a tiger snake which is quite venomous. And it was an overcast day in winter - when you would least expect to see a snake out in the open.

Serpent

The image was exposed on 35mm colour negative film. In real life, the snake was jet black and I am perplexed why the reptile appears grey in the resulting print and scan. Obviously, there are huge colour variations when printing negatives and no two labs would get similar results when printing from the same negative. Though it is a bit of a stretch for something that is black to turn grey when I assume that the guy doing the printing is aiming for a relatively normal reproduction of the scene's colours. It doesn't look underexposed to me, though the film was pushed half a stop. And it can't be reflective glare off the scales as it was an overcast day.

By the way, Ive been trying for ages to embed this image into the post but it won't work.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

No, the polarizers tend not to work at all in these circumstances ...

I could be wrong about it as nothing beats being there in person to deduce perceived lighting anomalies but just saying it is the kind of thing you get from diffuse sources around curved objects .

I'd love to write a thread about the philosophy of perception and so on but I'm stuck on an iPhone where typing is painful ...

In rainy Melbourne just now myself, no snakes but plenty of diffuse light up there :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Looks like reflective glare off the scales from an overcast day

That's what it looks like to me, too. A pola wouldn't remove all of the glare. If you put one on and rotated it, it would tend to darken one area (corresponding to polarized light of one particular angle of reflection) that would move as you turn the filter.

A pola wouldn't remove all of the glare. If you put one on and rotated it, it would tend to darken one area (corresponding to polarized light of one particular angle of reflection) that would move as you turn the filter.

Ah, not an ideal solution. Oh, and any tips on how to embed photos into posts? I inserted the BBCode, and also the HTML, between the tags but neither would work.

Edited by Patrick Cooper