Still Film Scanner

Matthew Skala

• Premium Member
Hey all,

I am looking for a professional film scanner for stills. I have always heard the Nikon coolscan is the way to go but it is way over priced. Anyone have any alternatives, recommendations, etc...

Matt

Kodak still film scanners:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona....16.14.18&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona...4.18.20.3&lc=en

when it comes to professional film scanning, $5000 is just fine. those kodaks listed about are 4x that. if you want a bargain basement device, then look at consumer flatbed scanners with transparency attachements. it will definately not be a professional solution. note: a flatbed is limited to 600dpi as well. dont believe the 2400dpi ratings, thats for software upsampling which looks horrible.

there really isnt much of a market inbetween the two price points, because pro equipment gets a pro pricetag. everything else is just low end.

unfortunately its either the coolscan or ebay.

• Premium Member

I just bought a flatbed scanner from Epson it was about $200 and came with three film carriers, one for 35 neg, one for 35 slide, and one for medium format. I bought it because it was the only scanner that I could afford at the moment that had a tray for medium format. It's a decent scanner and came at a great price.

Here is a picture I took and scanned with it.

Well it looks like I will just have to start saving. I may go with something along the line of the $200 scanner for now. It looks like it would atleast be good enough to put some more stuff on the web. I am graduating this year from film school with a cinematography major. My background is still photography. I will be updating my website soon with my reel and some other stuff. Thanks for the responses. My website is www.skalaphotography.com

Ok first thing. Flatbeds do have up to 3200 actual sensors per inch on the linear CCD, but they are still softer than 3200 dpi from a dedicated film scaner due to focus problems and cheaper optics. But the value is not upsampled from lower DPI. It's just that the real resolving power is never that high.

And wow, I didn't know Imacon is a cheaper alternative to Nikon, I'll just go and buy one right away, no make that two..

Don't let the "professional" or "consumer" steer your buying. Just consider your needs and test all the scanners you come in contact with, or at least colect as much internet info as you can in form of images (because that's what it's all about in the end, right?) But do contact real people of flesh and blood with real images

instead of relying on some comercial examples or something like that.

You can find Canoscan FS4000US for less than %1000 and

Minolta dual scan is about $600. Wheather they were "ment" for professionals or not is not important if they suit your needs.

An entry level professional has to AT LEAST show visible improvements over consumer lab printing, and these scanners, and photoshop skills will give you just that and more.

Bevare, it takes A LOT to scan dense chromes, so while these scanners will give acceptable results, they will not give you high-end scans of slides. A darker scan will seem beautifull on a lighttable, but could lost shadow information in the scans.

From what I have seen, only drum scanners like tango can make perfect digital reproductions of the entire range of a dark slide. Even high-end CCD scanners like Kodak scanners struggle with the d range of some positives.

But you will have no range problems with negatives.

good luck

Try the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV selling for $239,95 at BH

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...u=310893&is=REG

I have the III version and it really rocks. Just shot a short movie which had some stills on it... I scanned the stills with the Minolta and transfered to Fuji 125 and made a print of it. The print is amazing with a lot of detail.

It's worth the price.