1,000,000 candle power

Apu

I have a 1 million candle power sport halogen spot. It throws a pretty concentrated narrow beam. In terms of luminance, is this baby more powerful than a 1K or a 2K fresnel? I know it seems like a simple question ... my eye tells me it is but i don't have my lightmeter with me at the moment so i can't do a footcandle-comparison.

If someone were to answer this question, it would help: What is the "candle power" of a 1K fresnel? Thanks.

I'm think going to use this wireless handheld sport flashlight in an elevator where wires cannot go. Has anyone ever lit with these before? I'm shooting b&w so color temp. isnt an issue this time.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Candlepower measure point intensity, so it's easy to make a small light read with a very high number by putting a reflector and lens assembly on it to put all the light into a tiny spot. This is how they make some LEDs read very high - by collimating it into a very narrow beam. The total output is low - measured in milliwatts per steradian - but the point intensity at the centre of the hotspot can be several candela even for something that only consumes milliwatts.

Therefore at sufficient distance your flashlight may well appear brighter than a 1K if you stick your meter in the beam, but only because it's tightly collimated. In the same way, the 1K will seem brighter when spotted in and dimmer when flooded out, but it's the same amount of emission.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

These things aren't bad for $24 ... i wouldn't go so far as to light an entire movie with them but i think they'de do a good job as a spotted edge/back light or if bounced, just to bring up the ambient tone of a room, esp. in a narrow space or elevator where wires can get in the way.

They're cheap, small, quiet, handheld and charge by just plugging in the wall by the table with the donuts and coffee :)

Apu

It's a halogen bulb ... so figure the color temps is probably in the 2900K and 3200K range. If i had a color meter, i'd be more exact