Outdoor at night in woods. I need advice.

I need some advice from you lighting gurus in here. I am doing a no budget film soon (horror) and I've been doing some test footage. My night footage outdoors has been the weakest so far. The night footage near a house or a vehicle with lights on has been good, but its the night footage in the woods that is tricky.

I will be shooting on a S16 SR2 on 7219. I have limited film to experiment so I want to experiment with the best possible combination available. I have 4 lights. Lowel Omni, V, Tota, and D. What i noticed in the first test, it appears having 2 lights ( 1 deep and 1 shallow) on just one side of the actors looks best. And I got high up on a 20 foot ladder with a light about 20 feet away for the shallow light and had the deep light about 30 yards away pointing directly behind them. It's not thick woods, just equivalent to a large backyard with several trees.

My question is; I am just trying to find the right combination. With those 4 lights at your disposal, what would be the best combination to give me a nice look. oh, I do have a few diffusers, umbrellas, and a black flag. Also, please be specific. i.e. keep Omni shallow, 20 yard away facing... the more specific you are, the better it helps me understand.

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Eric

Sounds like you're on a right track.

If you're looking to test exposure, or at the very least would like to rough it in. Pick up some 800 ASA still stock and test it out.

As for the lighting, with that many units I'd key with one of my largest units and carve it up on the on the reverse for fill and what not, and use the rest to bring out background or additional talent. But, it's horror so darkness works (check out the original Chainsaw Massacre).