1000+ fps in remote location?

Bern Caughey

We have a documentary coming up where the Director has requested we shoot segments at 1000+ fps in remote, & likely rough, locations in Africa, & India.

The shots will not be repeatable, & we'll be working with a skeleton crew.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bern

Outside of renting something like a Phantom?

Phantom, & Weisscam, are the systems that come to mind, but I'm wondering if there's another better suited to this job.

We've contacted Clairmont, & Abel/LA. Neither rents both systems so couldn't offer a comprehensive comparison, still speaking to Mitch is a good idea.

I'm also hoping to get user's thoughts too.

The film is for an NGO so I need to minimize cost, & travel as light as possible.

Thanks,

Bern

Edited by Bern Caughey

Far be it for anyone to even consider working with 16- or 35mm, but I think I have a camera lying in the garage that a friend lent me that goes that high. Used to shoot missile launches? A fellow enthusiast was given I think a 35mm model, Wollensak (sp?) that similarly lies around doing nothing.

There's a huge stockpile of old surplus scientific cameras that you can probably HAVE if you find them, and of course you'll want to test them thoroughly; I guess it depends how much footage you're going to shoot though.

There are severe problems that can pop up when sand, 35mm film, heat, dust, dirt, and 1000 FPS (film is moving at 40MPH/65km/h) occur in tandem.

At the same time, the cost of film, process, scan, would probably be miniscule if it's just a few inserts and you get the camera for free.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Demoed Phantom's, & Weisscam's offerings & have an appointment with the HDIablo.

Compared to their quirks, film seems a sweet option, but I don't think the numbers would work on this production.

Best,

Bern