Raw stock got really hot?

Ryan Sage

Hello,

This may seem like a stupid question but here goes. I had 2 rolls of 16mm fuji 160t left over from a film shoot that had been stored in a friend of mines refrigerator. Unfortunately the house that the film was stored in caught fire recently and the fridge may have reached high temps but I cant be certain. The stock was recovered and the cans seem to be fine. I am currently working as a teaching assistant in a film school and we decided to go ahead and shoot the stock with a class anyway because we get free lab and transfer. My question is if the raw stock did reach a high temp how will it affect the ASA and what can be done in terms of exposure compensation, or is it a total waste of time? Any info would be great.

• Premium Member

Hello,

This may seem like a stupid question but here goes. I had 2 rolls of 16mm fuji 160t left over from a film shoot that had been stored in a friend of mines refrigerator. Unfortunately the house that the film was stored in caught fire recently and the fridge may have reached high temps but I cant be certain. The stock was recovered and the cans seem to be fine. I am currently working as a teaching assistant in a film school and we decided to go ahead and shoot the stock with a class anyway because we get free lab and transfer. My question is if the raw stock did reach a high temp how will it affect the ASA and what can be done in terms of exposure compensation, or is it a total waste of time? Any info would be great.

Without knowing what really happened there is no point in guessing. Normally I would ask the lab to do a clip test. For a telecine transfer it will probably be fine, especially if you overexposed 2/3 stop.