Canon has just announced the new Digital Cinema Camera: Canon Cinema EOS C300

Martin Hong

Canon announced the new camera: Canon Cinema EOS C300

canonc300leadpicdantetktk.jpg

equipped with Canon's DIGIC DV III image processor, a 9.84-megapixel sensor (8.29-megapixel effective) capable of Super 35 format, and your choice of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50 and 59.94fps recording at ISOs ranging from 320 all the way up to 20,000. Canon says it captures 1,000 horizontal lines of resolution. It's got two XLR inputs for audio and can shoot 160 minutes of video onto a 64GB CF card running a 50mbps bitrate at 1080p with 4:2:2 color sampling. Both PL and EF mount bodies are available, depending on whatever lens system you prefer. The system is full manual focus..

Source and further reading here:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/3/2536454/canon-digital-cinema

What do you guys think??

On paper it doesn't look that amazing, but the footage looks really great for the price. Sure it's missing some of the numbers of the Scarlet, but It has great low light performance, and I liked the look of it in the low light footage I saw (Sword at the http://www.canoncinemaeos.com/ website) The only major problem I see with it is that it does not do 60fps 1080p. I imagine it's apparent lack of 4:4:4 support could be an issue, and I know some people where hoping for 4k recording. I think it would make a wonderful rental, and I can't wait to see what they come out with next. I hope they can fix the 60fps problem with a firmware upgrade, I wonder what the resolution would be if you recorded 48fps on the camera, because you can increase the frame rate by 1 frame increments.

@Chris: There's a handle that can be unmounted. Of course you are not going to hold that camera by hand when you have a monster lens like that attached.

@Justin: That's what I thought, they never mentioned the color space or any compression spec, so far i haven't heard of that, also Red Scarlet just came out not long ago with an unbelievable price of $9,750 (body) only. Against the 20k that Canon offers. Uhmmmmm