Rx5 - 2K transfer - R16 & S16

Jeremy Rumas

hey all,

Posting this here because I want to share it, and figured some of you would be curious to see what Bolex footage looks like having gone through a 2K Spirit transfer with minimal grain reduction applied, dumped to DPX files, downsized to 1280 x 768 & rendered as high quality HDTV setting H.264 files, then uploaded to Vimeo.

After seeing this on Vimeo, and testing out a bunch of different renders on there, I will get a bit more grain reduction next time during the transfer. Compression doesn't handle the grain as well as I would hope, still, I'm pleased with the results.

This is a combination of R16mm and S16mm footage, from the same Bolex Rx5 camera, before and after an at home conversion. R16 footage is cropped in on. The rough film frame edges are in there because I dig the look.

Click on the HD button to watch in HD:

Hangs Upon Nothing - teaser

Great to the Bolex Rex 5 footage, Jeremy! Your exposures are spot on. What stock did you shoot?

Thanks Nicholas. I shoot almost everything with Fuji 64D, 250D, and 500D. The teaser is a mixture of those stocks.

There's also a few shots on Kodak stock, the 2nd and 3rd shots: night time lapse, and the time lapse shot of the temple with setting sun.