Outdoors shooting

Guest jake richards

Guest jake richards

hello,

tomorrow i am shooting waterfalls, and a mountain stream flowing over and around

dark boulders. redwood trees around the stream.

any thoughts on settings for this type of scenery?

i was thinking 30p, with cine gamma, thick. but i am not sure which shutter speed to use.

the water is running fast in some places.

thank you,

jake r.

I don?t like using the auto white balance setting in the jungle where there is lot of green. It tends to try to pull the green out. So white balance on white away from green. You might want to bring some shinny boards and mirrors. Even 1x1 mirror tiles would help. You may need to light up trees and rocks.

Why not shooting in 24P or 24PA, that is the DVX advantage and the preset Cine Gamma at F5 and F6 just look awesome. You can then play with them if you want to adjust some like Details, Master ped, Chroma level, but the preset are just excellent.

Here is a small movie I've done with water reflexions:

Link

Very nice reflexions. What qt compression settings did you use for such nice quality but rather small file?

Hi JoLaurits,

I used Sorenson Squeeze 4 for MPEG4 by Sorenson Media. And wait to see the new codec for MPEG4 (ADV) or H.264 in the new Quicktime, very, very nice quality.

I personally would probably use a slow shutter speed - get the smooth, flowing feeling from the water. Depends on your use, though. What's it for?

Good call on the WB. You'll want to pull the greens up in post as well, most likely. The 100 never pops them enough for my preference...