Canon AutoZoom 518 - external audio

Francesco Palombi

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a Canon AutoZoom 518.

I was thinking to record audio with a portable audio recorder (for example, like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673340-REG/Tascam_DR_08_DR_08_Portable_Digital_Audio.html)

Do you think I can do that?

How annoying will be the sound of the camera recording?

I don't need a great sound. I just need the camera and the audio for a cheap documentary project.

Thanks a lot

Francesco

• Premium Member

It's a progressive idea for super-8 filmmaking, however, the mini-plug input means you could be spending more money on the interface to go from XLR to your mini-plug, otherwise you could end up with a lot of audio interference on your sound recording.

beachtek makes a bunch of audio interface combinations that mount right to the tripod and then can connect to the product you are going to buy, but the beachtek interface will cost significantly more in addition to the product you are thinking of buying.

Hi, thanks for the advices.

I have another question.

I'm a photographer and I have no experience with shutter angle.

I read in this forum that 18fps in the Canon Auto Zoom 518 correspond to 1/40.5 shutter speed.

Now..I have a light meter (Sekonic) and I was wandering how I can set the exposure properly, because with the light meter I can't set the shutter speed at 1/40.5

Thanks a lot

Francesco