hiccuping when zooming?

Brad DeCecco

just giving the new dvx the trial run... it seems that even set to a slow zoom (servo in auto) in both standard and more so in 24p, it seems to have little hesitations when zooming in and out, is this typical of the auto zoom or might it indicate a problem/defect?

thanks,

-brad

• Premium Member

Hi,

"Priming the zoom" is a common term among studio cameramen who are used to working with less-than-brilliant equipment - just push the zoom very gently in the direction you want to go until it just begins to move, before doing the shot.

If you must zoom in and out in the same shot, do the pickup after the reversal very, very gently!

Phil

so would that be the case for it happenning in mid zoom also, it isn;t when it starts but say intermitently during the whole length of the zoom, a little hesitation here and there, it seems random and no more at the beginning or the end...

thanks for your responses, much appreciated!

• Premium Member

Zooms that aren't smooth are the bane of my existence; I can't tell you how much trouble I have had over the years with various zoom motors and controls trying to get really smooth ultra-slow zooms without some stickiness.