Polarizing Filters and Tungsten Light

I have to shoot a product that is inherently very shiny, and my client wants me to kill the reflections as much as possible. They’ve had a stills photographer, with a studio full of every kind of light, work with this product, and it seems there is only just so much that can be done. I’m really just trying to hedge my bets for the next shoot.

Thanks for humoring me, by the way. I know it’s a newbie question, but I’ve never had to use a polarizer before.

I have to shoot a product that is inherently very shiny, and my client wants me to kill the reflections as much as possible. They’ve had a stills photographer, with a studio full of every kind of light, work with this product, and it seems there is only just so much that can be done. I’m really just trying to hedge my bets for the next shoot.

Thanks for humoring me, by the way. I know it’s a newbie question, but I’ve never had to use a polarizer before.

You could definitely try a set-up like the one I described above. You put sheet polarizers in front of your lights

will the same filter orientation and a polarizing filter in front of the camera lens. Rotate the lens filter as needed

to knock down the reflections on your subject. In this situation, you can easily compensate for the light loss.

Don't know what kind of camera you are using, but beamsplitter-type viewfinders might act weird with polarized light.

Not a show-stopper, but be aware and devise a work-around, if necessary.