Changing audio to "walkie talkie"

Ok FCP experts how do I re-process some normal sounding audio to make it sound like it's coming over a walkie talkie?

The first person to tell me will be the editor of my next major motion picture. As such you will receive enormous amounts of money, be adored by beautiful women, and have your face licked by a very cute little puppy.

Thanks

R,

• Premium Member

Using only basic filters?

Hmm. Use the equalisation filter to remove both very high and very low frequencies. Use the volume filter to wind it up until it distorts, then wind it back down again. This might not work if you are working in 32 bit audio; you might have to increase it to distortion level, export it to a file, then bring it back in again and make the level sane. Add noise, probably from a library of radio noise sound effects. Add clicks at the start and end of the "transmission".

You could go further with modulation etc. What's the fictional situation?

Some jet noise in the background, if it's a jet copter. Blades, etc.

Yep got that in and some "garble". Still not as good as what the post house can do, they must have a fancy plug in for this.

Or I record it live through a real walkie talkie, there's always that.

R,

• Premium Member

I suspect they've probably got Sound Forge, which is just a pile of normal filters. A lot of it is appropriate recording - some of the sound of radio comms is actually the nasty mic, and the proximity of it to the user's mouth, causing additional distortion and plosives.