What would you call those colour balance segments at the beginning of a roll of film

Niall Conroy

Hey guys,

I'm shooting a super-8 piece in a few weeks, and i thought it would be nice to include those classic stylised colour balancing scenes that are shot at the start (or some point) of a roll of film.

Been trying to find more reference photos on the internet, but seeing as I lack a key-word, Its proving difficult. I did however spot this image on TV a few days ago:

o372.jpg

which is exactly the sort of style I want for the shot - so anyone recall seeing any images floating about similar to this - or any videos on youtube/vimeo

I could have sworn they had these sorts of shot in that old Kodak test film:

Hope that all made sense

thanks for reading!

Shoot your own. You can't just use something you find on the internet without permission. Copyright exists whether it says it or not. You also aren't likely to just find a file you could use in editing anyway.

i always was intending to shoot my own. I guess I just didn't get that point across in my original post.

excellent! many thanks!... although the 'key-word' isn't much of a keyword - quite open to interpretation from google :)

great help tho, thanks.

Laboratory Aim Density frames are usually included in a laboratory's standard leaders and are used for quickly checking the colour and exposure of an intermediate or print. Nowadays they're supplied by Kodak either as a piece of film duplicated from the originals shot when the system was devised, or as a DPX of the new Digital LAD patch.

Going back a bit laboratories used to devise their own - I've seen ones from Eclair, Rank, Atlab, and Cinevex since the '80s, and there are dozens more before then.

Either way though - they're not shot at the head of each reel of camera negative.