Example footage for different frame rates

Ed Moore

Hi all,

New poster so before I launch into my post, just wanted to say "hi" and point out what a wonderful resource I've found this site in a couple months of poking around - an awful lot of talented people seem to dispense an awful lot of fantastic advice in their own time, which is pretty remarkable considering the layers of cynicism that I seem to constantly encounter in parts of this industry...

FAQ calls for a brief introduction: I'm based in the UK and run my own production company. Most of my production work is either producing or directing, but I am trying to shoot as much of my own stuff as possible these days. Very little film experience and all of it on S16, but lots of video. Gearing up for a big HD shoot at the moment based around the F900 which will be my first HD experience as DP so expect lots of panicky posts in the near future... Current project is a feature length documentary on DV the production diary of which can be found at http://www.myotherme.co.uk.

Anyway.

Was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some example footage shot at a range of different frame rates - am trying to get a feel for the look of say, 28p, 30p, 48p, 60p, 120p etc etc vs. 24p. Undercranked stuff would be equally useful. I thought perhaps people might have stuff in their showreels they could point me toward, or maybe some well-known movie examples you might happen to know the frame rate for?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Edited by EdMoore

Guest jeremy edge

In film cameras 24 frames is the standard in US.Faster speeds are usually used for slow motion.Shoot at 64 ,play at 24 you get slow motion for ex.

18fps is used in super 8 often for a choppier feel.Kind of your typical home movie look.

In Video 24p looks the most like film ,30p following second and 60i looks razor sharp...less surreal and more cold reality.Great for sports and such with lots of movement.

In europe they use 50i for video.or 25p

25fps for film. Much more logical speeds over there.

I assume you are in uk? Shoot 25fps film and 25p video and you got it made!

The other speeds you mentioned arent common for video.

In film cameras 24 frames is the standard in US.Faster speeds are usually used for slow motion.Shoot at 64 ,play at 24 you get slow motion for ex.

18fps is used in super 8 often for a choppier feel.Kind of your typical home movie look.

In Video 24p looks the most like film ,30p following second and 60i looks razor sharp...less surreal and more cold reality.Great for sports and such with lots of movement.

In europe they use 50i for video.or 25p

25fps for film. Much more logical speeds over there.

I assume you are in uk? Shoot 25fps film and 25p video and you got it made!

The other speeds you mentioned arent common for video.

Bit of confusion here as I was reading something else at the time about HD and typed "p" when I meant "fps"; am trying to get a sense for how much more "slow motiony" e.g. a shot at 60fps is over 50fps - obviously there is a mathematical answer to the question, I was just looking for something visual to guide me.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The 50-60 area is pretty much like sports slow motion - like you'd see on a football (Soccer, Americans) game.

Circa 120 is really very slow, Matrix territory.

500 plus is crash test dummy territory, watch every raindrop deform and burst as it hits the ground.

You can try it all out on video and get an idea how how slow "slow" is even if it is a bit choppy.

Phil