Your Opinion about our slow-mo Reel

Daniel P

Overall, I would say that if you are trying to get work shooting hi-speed photography, it's pretty bad. First, it's way too long for the limited material that you have. Use your best shots only. In the first section there are only 4 shots I would consider using. At 15 seconds,the profile shot of the girl in the water, at 18 seconds the 2nd shot of the guy getting splashed, at 20 seconds the girl in the water, at 32 seconds the girl in the water. In Capter 2, the molotov cocktail is the only shot I would consider using and it is debatable. Chapter 3, the peanut shot at 1:07, the tomatoes at 1:09, the milk at 1:13, the lemon at 1:22, the cherry in the cream at 1:28, and theberries in the chocolate at 1:30 are the best in that series. I would not use anything else in there. In chapter 4, the only shots in there that I liked were of the guy at 1:39 and the following shot at 1:40. Everything else is dark and uninteresting. In chapter 5 at 2:09 the wine glass is well composed but the lighting just doesn't pop. The lighting in general is not slow mo lighting. It's flat and it needs to pop. Most of the shots I picked out pop enough. You have to have highlights in slo-mo and these shots have that to some extent. The same for the shot at Unilux are strobe lights that are used in high speed photography that give sharp clarity to the picture. The water drops look good at 2:12 look good but they don't sell a shot. They don't sell anything which is another problem I have with the real overall. This is supposed to be a commercial real and if it isn't, it should be because commercials are where hi speed is used extensively. You should have loaded this with product to make it look like commercials you already shot. It's a spec reel basically and the people you will be showing this to sell product and they want to see how you will shoot a product. Their product. Look at the Unilux reel. It's not perfect. It's only 2:17 and look at all that is packed into that. The quality looks low. It looks like it was shot of a tv screen but your reel needs to look as good as this if you want to work shooting hi-speed. Also remember the most important element of high speed photography. You have to capture something that will be missed completely or almost completely missed if shot in real time. A girls stepping out of the car in simple slo mo might seem elegant in a perfume commercial but that isn't what I would consider to be hi speed which is what you are going after. You are trying to sell a specialty so only use those shots.Re-edit this or just make a separate cut of the shots I pointed out regardless of the length. You can stretch out the shot length a little but not too much. You will notice that overall the quality with increase immensely. I know you put a lot of time and money into this but you really have to put your best foot forward. If a shot doesn't work, it doesn't work. Don't try to force it just because you have it. Don't take this personally, but a guy sitting behind the big desk at a commercial production company or a DP agency sees hundreds or reels and you want yours to stand out above the rest. You don't want your reel to appear amateurish. Here is the unilux reel.

Edited by Tom Jensen

• 1 month later...

I agree with some of what Tom said. The reel could be shorter. Maybe 1-2 minutes. But overall, I think you clearly have plenty of material to demonstrate a true proficiency with the medium. So yes, to echo Tom, I'd cut it down and keep only your best "money" shots. Who will be watching this? Ad execs? Directors? Pick an audience and cut it how they'd want to see it. As for me, I can't even watch a video online if it's longer than 60 seconds unless I force myself through it.

I would really like your opinion for our new highspeed showreel

http://viraw.com/video/O3WO5HXAOO4O/Un-Grand-Love-Story-ABL-Highspeed-Reel-2011

All was shot with a Weisscam HS-1