SDX900 and the XL2

Landon D. Parks

You know, the weird thing is. In just comparing the actual pixels of the two cameras, it seems the XL2 would be better in resolution than the DSX-900. SDX-900 claims 520,000 pixels, Conon XL2 claims 680,000 pixels.

Is it true the canon has more pixels than a $26,000.00 camera? Or is it something to do with the way MiniDV records that will cut the 680,000 pixels down real quick? Compared to DVC-pro50.

Also the XL2 having a 1/3" CCD and the SDX having a 2/3" CCD. It seems the higher resolution on the XL2 combined with the smalled CCD would produce even better results....But I dont know for sure.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

It's video voodoo.

And you're talking about two different recording formats as well. And lenses of vastly different quality. And on and on and on!

Go shoot with a 900, you'll see why product brochures aren't really a viable way to compare cameras.

• Premium Member

Yeah, apples and oranges. No offense, but your reasoning is backwards on your last paragraph.

The SDX is a far superior camera: the sensor is twice as big, it's recording on a better format: DVCPRO50 is 50Mb/s and 4:2:2 sampling. It's a pro camera, with better glass, there's just no comparison. MiniDV is 25Mb/s and 4:1:1, half the color sampling. MiniDV is an inferior format compared to DVCPRO50, or DVCAM.

I love my XL2 but yes, video Voodoo. Effective pixels are 350,000 for 4:3 and 460,000 for 16x9.

There's a reason why the SD-X900 is $26K, just for the body. A good zoom will cost you at least another $25K. Like Patrick said, go and shoot the two side by side and you'll see.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yeah, I was going to say - the reason the XL2 looks like it has a huge number of pixels is that it has a sensor designed to cover both 4:3 and 16:9 with "reasonable" results, but they don't all get used at once.

Phil