Airstar Balloon Light

Recently i just found out about this cool lighting gear by Airstar.. they have balloon, fly mattress light that are amazing to be in the place where no other light can be..

Airstar+Filmcast.jpg

But a question came to my mind.. how'd they fit the light in a flying balloon? Can't find tech spec on their website: http://www.airstar-light.com/corporate/en/cinema-tv-photo

So i presume that the balloons are using helium, but how'd they manage to fit the light inside that's powerful enough.. with the heat problem? Helium is stable with heat going around?

Just curious about how they work... anybody care to explain? thanks!

Edited by Martin Hong

They don't put an actual lamp inside the balloon, just the globe, and whatever fitting it requires. They are often fitted with a mix of tungsten and HMI globes. Helium is an inert gas, so no problems with the heat. Obviously you don't switch the globes on until the balloon is inflated or you'd burn the fabric.

Does a very great job and eliminating the rigging problem..

Hmmmm, you're just rigging in reverse

I suppose its nice in that you can 'counterweight' the lamps weight and have a near neutral object - but you still have to lock it off in three dimensions which might involve some rigging fun

They don't put an actual lamp inside the balloon, just the globe, and whatever fitting it requires. They are often fitted with a mix of tungsten and HMI globes. Helium is an inert gas, so no problems with the heat. Obviously you don't switch the globes on until the balloon is inflated or you'd burn the fabric.

I knew that they don't put the entire lamp inside.. but curious how its wired and mounted inside.. We are talking about HMI and tungsten, those are tricky to handle, just as you said, i presume that the fabric isn't that heat resistant.

Hmmmm, you're just rigging in reverse

I suppose its nice in that you can 'counterweight' the lamps weight and have a near neutral object - but you still have to lock it off in three dimensions which might involve some rigging fun

Chris, what i meant was something like this

Airstar%20Photo.jpg

For a overhead light it becomes easier since you dont need heavy duty rigs or cranes..

I've just been around these on a shoot, and from what I can gather with a few chats with the balloon op, inside the balloon is just a bubble in a holder with a (very sensitive) safety circuit which senses the inflation of the balloon. If it's under inflated, the thing won't turn on, or it'll cut out if there is a leak. We used the tungsten versions, which had external boxes housing switches and fuses. They would've been great if it wasn't for the wind.