I have been advised that film kept around for under three months is safe in the refrigerator, and for longer durations of time, it should be kept in the freezer. Having already put some film in the freezer, I'm now concerned that such an extremely low temperature might harm the film by making it more brittle. Is this concern legitimate? Naturally, I don't want the film to snap in the camera, or even worse, in the processor. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliot Loewenstein

• Premium Member
I have been advised that film kept around for under three months is safe in the refrigerator, and for longer durations of time, it should be kept in the freezer.  Having already put some film in the freezer, I'm now concerned that such an extremely low temperature might harm the film by making it more brittle.  Is this concern legitimate?  Naturally, I don't want the film to snap in the camera, or even worse, in the processor.  Any expert advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliot Loewenstein

If you have opened the original sealed factory packaging, you need to be very careful to re-equilibrate the film to 50% humidity, otherwise excess moisture could form ice crystals if the film is frozen. Kodak does not normally use below freezing storage temperatures for transportation and storage of motion-picture raw stock.

The Kodak website has lots of good information:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5202.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...1.4.11.12&lc=en

• Premium Member
Thanks a lot, John.  Checked out the helpful site.  Does the info. also apply to daylight spools?  Are they considered "factory sealed" and impervious to moisture, as well?

Yes, if they are in the original unopened Kodak packaging.

Remember, even if you freeze the film, it will still age slowly, and still be subject to slow fog buildup from ambient radiation. Just keeping film refrigerated should give it a "shelf life" of several years, without the risk of ice crystals.

If you do freeze film, do NOT use a "frost free" freezer -- these units actually cycle the temperature to melt any frost formed.

• 6 months later...
Yes, if they are in the original unopened Kodak packaging.

Remember, even if you freeze the film, it will still age slowly, and still be subject to slow fog buildup from ambient radiation. Just keeping film refrigerated should give it a "shelf life" of several years, without the risk of ice crystals.

If you do freeze film, do NOT use a "frost free" freezer -- these units actually cycle the temperature to melt any frost formed.

How long will the low ASA films last frozen? I would guess that low speed films like 50D and 100T should last many years before

ambient radiation fogging becomes an issue? Does this sound correct?

My domestic freezer seems to be around -25 Celcius.

What does the cycling of temperature in a frost free freezer do to the film?

Thanks From,

Henry.

• Premium Member
How long will the low ASA films last frozen? I would guess that low speed films like 50D and 100T should last many years before

ambient radiation fogging becomes an issue? Does this sound correct?

Thanks From,

Henry.

Hi,

I remember in 1982 finding a roll of 5254 in a Directors freezer. He thought it had been there for about 10 years. I shot some film that was then printed. The lab mentioned raised fog level on the neg report. I telecined the print, (normal in 1982) and was able to grade the footage.

Stephen

• Premium Member

I shot quite a bit of old, expired stock when I was starting out. I often tried to get the production to go for re-cans or short ends in 35mm rather than new stock on 16mm, 'cause it made my work look better... Worked most of the time. In fact, I've never had a bad experience with old stock - and I've shot some really old stuff. I shot the old 5296 - Kodak's first 500 speed film - as late as 1999-2000 and that was fine. I've shot a bit on Kodak's much maligned old 5287, a 200 speed low con stock they discontinued quite soon after that, and it was fine. And so on. There were two instances where some old Fuji 500T, that hadn't been refigerated or kept well, almost didn't work out. But just almost - the grain was beautiful but a bit jarring when intercut with the other stuff. So they added grain to the rest, instead. :D

Basically, this is the lesson I've learned:

It's gotta be some seriously old and mistreated film to not be usable after some healthy overexposure and graded in

telecine. But you didn't hear it from me... :P

• Premium Member
I shot quite a bit of old, expired stock when I was starting out. I often tried to get the production to go for re-cans or short ends in 35mm rather than new stock on 16mm, 'cause it made my work look better... Worked most of the time. In fact, I've never had a bad experience with old stock - and I've shot some really old stuff. I shot the old 5296 - Kodak's first 500 speed film - as late as 1999-2000 and that was fine. I've shot a bit on Kodak's much maligned old 5287, a 200 speed low con stock they discontinued quite soon after that, and it was fine. And so on. There were two instances where some old Fuji 500T, that hadn't been refigerated or kept well, almost didn't work out. But just almost - the grain was beautiful but a bit jarring when intercut with the other stuff. So they added grain to the rest, instead. :D

Basically, this is the lesson I've learned:

It's gotta be some seriously old and mistreated film to not be usable after some healthy overexposure and graded in

telecine. But you didn't hear it from me... :P

Hi,

My only bad experiance was with 4 year old fridge stored 800T. The film had been by air 4 times so no doubt a little extra fogging. The fogging was not an issue but Grain. I did want a grainy look but this was more like snow!

Stephen