Repairing my SR2 viewfinder J-Bar ?

Paul Mitcheltree

Would appreciate any tech suggestions for this problem that I would like to repair.

( I now have a spare J-bar which works fine so I am keen to try and fix this misaligned one ).

The image through the viewfinder is canted at 45 degrees and always stays at the same angle when you swing or tilt the J-bar.

capoff10.jpg

I have removed the prism 'H' and can see down the tube and it appears that prism 'D' is out of alignment.

diaglf10.jpg

canted10.jpg

I now understand that the eight small allen screws 'A' adjust the tension to allow the Jbar to rotate loose/stiff.

(not sure what screw 'C' does yet... but it is not part of the problem AFAIK )

screws10.jpg

I am wondering if I remove the 4 larger cheesehead screws 'B' will it let me slide the large piece 'K' with most of the optical guts attached to it out of piece 'J'.

Thanks for any tips you can pass along.

diagrt10.jpg

Yes, I know I'm an optimist but I do have decent tools and have repaired a few Arri 16/35 camera problems in the past, mostly mechanical as electronics are not my forte. ( Wish they were as I have a sick SR2 running fast/offspeed. )

Edited by treez

• Premium Member

If you remove the 8 set screws you can slide the barrel out a bit, which disengages the prism gearing. Rotate the barrel and re-engage it at the correct level, might take a few goes. When it's right, do up the screws. Make sure they line up with the holes within.

If the screws are painted in, use a bit of acetone to loosen them, you don't want to strip the allen heads.

By the way, it's part of the forum rules to use your correct name. Keeps everyone honest and polite (in theory B) ).

• Premium Member

Must be hot in Melb now ( I used to live in Tassie ).

Well it was high 30s (Celcius) a week or two ago, now barely cracking 20. Had hail yesterday. Typical Melbourne, you never know whether to leave the house in your togs or your raincoat.

Good luck with the viewfinder.