Did I ACTUALLY get an Ebay Bargain???

Guest rebelmonkey

Guest rebelmonkey

Ello Ello Ello!

I'm still grinning from ear to ear ( :D ) after winning a lot of 8 Cine cameras on Ebay...

Ebay Item 3877851435

...and was wondering what people think. I haven't recieved them yet, but he does give some sketchy details of the cameras. Anyone have any experience of the cameras? Any advice about which to try out first / which to avoid?

Without wanting to advertise, I doubt I need all 8, so if anyone really fancies one in particular, perhaps we can discuss things.

Anyhoo, thanks alot!

G. x

The cameras in order:

KODAK 8 MOVIE CAMERA -

Good basic workhorse.

SANKYO SUPER MICRO -

One of the best cameras I've used.

HANIMEX LOADMATIC -

Never used

MUPLEX MR3 SUPER 8 -

Soft focus in low light, otherwise decent.

EUMIG EUMIGETTE ZOOM SUPER 8 -

If it can be cleaned up, one of the best.

CHINON 722 XL AUTOMATIC -

Great camera. I highly recommend any Chinon XL or SM series camera.

SANKYO 8 -

If it has an XL lens, fantastic deal

CHINON 470 POWER ZOOM -

An ok camera

I collect Chinons BTW, and do not have either of your two in my collection.

It looks like you got an Awesome deal there rebel. :D I've worked with the Sankyo Super Micro and it is a very nice camera! Again this just proves that Ebay saves the day...and budget! :) Hope they are all in great condition when you get them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rebelmonkey

Well, the cameras have arrived and I'm quite pleased with them really. The Sankyo cameras are both quite nice, one's a Double 8, and one's a Super-8, and it's nice to see that progression of technology.

The CHINONs are both excellent, and if the zooms work then I'll be extremely pleased with them! One of the cameras did have a Super-8 Canon E160 cartridge in it, but I don't know how much it's been used. I did take it out of the camera, and there is celluloid showing, which I would think means it's partly used.

is there any way to clearly tell how much it's been used? If you put a partly used film into a camera, will the footage counter adjust automatically? And finally, what does a fresh film look like? does it have a non-celluloid leader / finisher to protect the film?

Oh the questions!

On an interesting aside, can you still buy double 8 film? Can you use ordinary 16mm film? AND... can you get double 8 developed like 16mm and NOT have it split? (for purely arty purposes - I figure that if you just turn the camera upside down for one half of the shoot, you'd have to images on the screen when projected like 16mm, one side going forwards and one going backwards. Funky, eh?

While it'll be great to find this out, I'm leaving the country tomorrow for 5 months, as am gap yearing, so won't have a chance to use them for AGES!

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
is there any way to clearly tell how much it's been used? If you put a partly used film into a camera, will the footage counter adjust automatically? And finally, what does a fresh film look like? does it have a non-celluloid leader / finisher to protect the film?

Oh the questions!

I doubt you can tell how much film is left, although sometimes lightly shaking the cartridge can give one a feel for where the "weight" of the film is. But to a newbie you wouldn't have anything to compare the cartridge to. Film leader is put on after the film is processed.

On an interesting aside, can you still buy double 8 film? Can you use ordinary 16mm film? AND... can you get double 8 developed like 16mm and NOT have it split? (for purely arty purposes - I figure that if you just turn the camera upside down for one half of the shoot, you'd have to images on the screen when projected like 16mm, one side going forwards and one going backwards. Funky, eh?

Clever idea, has anyone ever tried that technique, not splitting the double 8 film at all?

• Premium Member
Clever idea, has anyone ever tried that technique, not splitting the double 8 film at all?

The issue would be that a 16mm projector would be pulling down two frames of Regular-8 per pulldown stroke of the claw. So you would have four images on the screen, and would not be running at the correct frame rate.