Does anyone process Double Super 8?

Guest Ian Marks

Guest Ian Marks

Is it still possible to buy double super-8 film and have it processed? Is it Kodachrome only? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there would be a special run of Kodak negative stock in DS8. Did this ever come to pass? If so, where would one get it processed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member

Processing is usually NOT the issue, as the film is actually 16mm wide, which is a standard motion-picture format. Of course the film needs to be slit to 8mm width after processing. And 8mm telecine gates and printers are not widely available.

• Premium Member
Scotness, I couldn't connect using any of your links - do you have others?

Additional links on the Kodak site:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/super8/t...4.4.10.10&lc=en

In the past, some outside companies (e.g., John Schwind) have purchased bulk film from Kodak as a special order and respooled it:

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/JohnSchwind.html

There are quite some DS8 emulsions available, and although I've never shot DS8, the best Super8 footage I ever saw projected came from converted Bolex & Canon Scoopic cameras.

There's a company named Kahl Media that sells 2x8mm (regular 8), DS8 and even 1-row R8 film.

DS 8 B&W:

ISO200 reversal, 25 & 100 ft. daylight spools

DS Color:

ISO50 reversal, 25& 100 ft. daylight spools

(I suppose this is Agfa E6-type stock)

They also offer S8 negative film rated ISO100 & ISO400 and even home lab equipment for processing and slitting 8mm formats.

Kahl Media

Guest Ian Marks

The links that wouldn't work for me before are working for me now - very helpful stuff! I'm struck by how economical it would be shoot on DS8 - if I'm not mistaken a 100' roll would yield the same running time as a 400' foot roll of 16mm stock.

I guess the problem is locating a good camera without spending a bundle. I can see that converting a Bolex H8 Rx camera to DS8 makes it an expensive proposition. In the meantime, I snagged a standard-issue Canon 814 Electronic on Ebay at a bargain price last night. After looking at doublesuper8.com site, I realize that the Canon "Scoopic" DS8 has the same lens as my 814, so that seems like a good thing.