turret plate flex

andrew parrish

Hi everybody,

I was wondering, as a general rule of thumb, how much weight can the lens mount on a H camera support, before you new additional support, like a rail?

Thanks,

Andrew

One very general rule-of-thumb for turret cameras like the Bolex is to grasp the rear mount with your fingertips and if you can't hold the lens horizontal, then it probably needs additional support.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

andrew your h8 rex aught to have a turret plate clamp on the top edge of the plate opposite the viewfinder. use it. i also use a locking plug at the same time. using those two items i can easily hang an older angenieux zoom, stacked filters and a metal hood. anything more like matte boxes, and you need to mount it on some rails. as youve obviously realized, ANY movement of that plate eliminates the back focus calibration. so lightly pull down on the lens' objective end while examining where the turret plate flushes to the body. if you can open a gap, you've got a problem. rattling around during takes and travel can allow this to move so on the reflexes... check the gate, check the spring, check the plate.