New experimental Super 8 film shot w/ Leicina Special + ST1 Controller

Nicholas Kovats

This is my latest film shot back in late 2010 regarding my ideas involving bicycle based cinematography.

I utilized my robust Leitz Leicina Special camera which has an electromagnetic shutter and this in turn was connected to a ST1 controller. I configured a combination of time exposure (3s per frame)and time lapse (1 frame every 1.5s).

The camera was attached forward facing to my handle bars via an over engineered ballhead and Super clamp. It's rigidity partially absorbed but mostly transmitted the shockwaves from the cold ride. I used out of date Kodachrome 40 film circa 1981. The exposed film was sent to the last remaining Kodachrome lab just 2 weeks prior to being permanently shuttered. Kodachrome film is no more and was officially discontinued production by Kodak in 2009.

I suspect the film's age (29 years!) resulted in the silver metallic dyes not coupling correctly to the multiple emulsion layers. I have decided to upload the full overscanned and edited image sequence, i.e. edge to edge. That is the Super 8 perforation to the left of the image.

A big thank you to Martin Reiss as the "ghost rider" who can be occasionally glimpsed in front my rig!

http://vimeo.com/35695252

• Premium Member

Nice result. With the Kodak Ektachrome 100D film you would gain two stops of sensitivity. You could split those two stops. Use one to iris down the camera one f-stop for better sharpness, plus the remaining one stop of sensitivity should bring out even more color and blur.