Apple Boxes

David Ross

I own two full sets of Apple Boxes, They are Matthews brand and are nice boxes. I just got a call for a project and will need three more full sets. I have a small shop and totally get how to make them on my own. But a quick question, What would be the best thickness for tops and sides and what type of wood type of wood should i purchase,Finished? unfinished? BC? birch?

Thoughts?

People make them out of all kinds of wood. 1/2" 5 layer birch plywood renders the lightest strongest box. Matthews used to make theirs with 3/4 sides and 3/8 tops. I see 3/4 construction frequently with homemade stuff. I used to make mine from 1/2" birch. I could and have set my dodge 2500 on my boxes to show how strong they are. Anything will do depending on your needs. you can never have enough apple boxes.

• 3 months later...

People make them out of all kinds of wood. 1/2" 5 layer birch plywood renders the lightest strongest box. Matthews used to make theirs with 3/4 sides and 3/8 tops. I see 3/4 construction frequently with homemade stuff. I used to make mine from 1/2" birch. I could and have set my dodge 2500 on my boxes to show how strong they are. Anything will do depending on your needs. you can never have enough apple boxes.

Thank you Sir just built some and they came out great! Used the 1/2 birch!

• 1 month later...

I used 1/2 5 ply birch as well since it make the math easier and it's strong and lightweight. I also put a couple of coats of black spray paint on them followed by a couple of coats of spray polyurethane. You can make 2-3 DIY sets for the price of a Mathews set.