Canon max8 1014

Viktor Gibarti

Hi All!

Anyone tried the upgrade on canon 1014 xl-s ny pro8? I am thinking to send my camera fro upgrade... They make a good work on it? Can i use my camera for 4x3 also after the upgrade? I mean i can projecting my films in 4x3?

thanks!

sorry my english....:)

It's VERY expensive and I have seen two of their modded cameras produce a constant scratch on the far right side of the image due to their not quite trimming the gate properly. I have also seen modded cameras produce perfect results.

There are folks out there who will mod your gate for $40 and do it right. Supposedly the pro8 take the camera apart and realign the lens so it's directly centered with the newly widened gate. They DO add viewfinder hatching so you cam properly frame for 1.78:1. It's just soooo expensive.

Thanks Matt!

Yes is very expensive! My experience on this camera that the lens is good but not enough sharp!!! the leicina and the beaulieu makes much sharper image than canon. This is the reason why i am hesitate to send the canon for upgrade...

I shot a wedding last summer for a friend with a modded 1014XL-S. It was out of town and he said he'd provide a 1014 camera and was surprised it was one of those Pro8 jobs. The footage has an inconsistent scratch in the widened gate. Maybe 50% of the footage has it. As I was unfamiliar/unprepared to work with this camera I found the frame lines in the gate to be confusing because I was unsure whether the viewfinder was showing the information in the widened gate.

I suppose if they do take apart the camera and give it a much needed tune up as part of the mod then it might be worth it. But the gate scratching is pretty unacceptable for a professional facility that can easily do a scratch test in house. Personally, I'd rather shoot full frame and crop in post at the time of transfer if needed for the project, or invest in an anamorphic setup.

Yes you can still project your films in 4x3, you'd have to also widen the projector gate to show that widened film image.

Edited by John Woods

• Premium Member

They also recalibrate the the autoexposure to work with their Pro8mm stocks. Which is actually not a bad thing...probably more useful than the gate widening. I have several Autozoom 814s that I've thought about having that done to...tank of a camera. But it is prohibitively expensive through them.

I'd say that if the gate scratches it should go back to them for fixing (for free). Not that I want to be in a position defending them, but you can just be mad or simply ask them to make it right. Any mod to a gate should be tested multiple times before accepting the work as done.