Arri Model I - WWII configuration?

Fred Dascenzo

Hello,

Here are some photos of a model I, with the serial number in the 16XX range.

I am trying to determine if this is in "original WWII configuration".

When reviewing wartime photos of these (admittedly a small sample), they do not have the the circular piece on the right side with the "ARRIFLEX" logo. I think the postwar Model IIBs have this.

Also, I have not seen any examples that are not in black paint. In another thread, mention is made of this light green being used by the Luftwaffe, and also by the US Air Force. It looks like this one has a darker green under the light green (see last photo).

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Fred

post-54894-0-87153600-1329606765.jpg

• Premium Member

I posted some photos of our WW2 era model, serial number 700, in this thread:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=53764

Very early ones (below around #1000) had a single lens release, square matte box pin and pertinax gate. As far as I know the war era magazines were unpainted. According to John's information serial numbers below 2000 are WW2 German combat cameras, so if you can find a serial number that would help. I'm not sure about the green paint - as you suggest, maybe they were Luftwaffe variants, or captured cameras repainted by the US military?

• Premium Member

Read your initial post again and realised you did mention a serial number 16xx.. sorry!

That would indeed make it a WWII model. But given the ongoing design modifications that occurred during that time, it's hard to say exactly what is an "original WWII configuration".