expendables list for a 5 week shoot

Good afternoon,

I've just recently been confirmed to 2nd AC a TV pilot shooting out of town in the country (most likely much of it exteriors) for 5 weeks and I need to put together an expendables list by Monday.

I have experience as a 2nd AC and have put together an expendables list before but never on this scale for a professional TV 5 week shoot. So I wanted to know from those of you who have, what your recommendations would be for any items I may be unaware of but also most importantly, what quantity! We will be shooting in an area hours away from the city (in Melbourne), so picking the odd pieces if we run dry is not really an option.

It's shooting on the Alexa. Two cameras I believe (will find out by today). Thanks for your time. cheers

Edited by Marcus Allemann

Just as a starting point:

Matte black paper tape (the most expensive tape, get a couple rolls, I hate shelling out for them myself)

Various colors camera tape: Red, Blue, Yellow, etc.

Various colors paper tape, 1" &/or 1/2": Red, Green (for marking hot & formatted cards is how I like to do it), Neon Orange, etc.

Eye chamois

Canned air (according to your nozzle)

Kimwipes

Pancro

Dry Erase & eraser tips

Sharpies, Stabilos (china pencil, black water soluble pencil, and the like), Wet Erase Pens,

Rain gear, if its a possibility (plastic, diapers, Gorilla tape, binder clips)

Velcro 2" & 1"

etc.

Confer with your 1st to see what colors camera & paper tape he likes to use for mag tags, marks & such. David Elkins has a great check off list of expendables at his website that's pretty thorough, and can help you remember somethings that may slip your mind while compiling a list.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member

Not expendable, per se, but do you have some pop-up tents squared away with production? I always fight hard get a 10x10 popup with sides per camera. Start early, popups can really be a battle with some line producers.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent tips from Jonathan and Chris- especially concerning the pop ups.

I like to use small-core 2'' black paper tape from filmtools. I think a couple rolls each of paper tape would be enough, maybe 3 or 4 rolls for the colors you'll use to mark your principle actors. I use more paper tape than cloth tape these days, so I usually only keep one roll each of cloth 1'' camera tape- usually black, white, red, blue, and a few neon colors.

If you're "out in the country" you might want to make sure you have lots of stuff for marking actors on dirt, or places where you can't use tape- think sandbag t's, golf tees, nails, survey flags etc.....this also depends a little on what your 1st prefers. If you anticipate using more of this stuff than paper tape for marking, you can adjust.