video format

Guest hubert hofer

Guest hubert hofer

hi,

I would like an opinon on the subject of HD mini dv in documentary video making. At this stage is it absolutely necessary to switch to HD for any new project or is mini DV still an option for some time yet. I'm not contemplating any big time production but if what I am planning turns out ok I would try to market it. It's a matter of having a couple of VX 2000's at hand vs buying new cameras.

thanks HH

• Premium Member

Hello,

If your documentary might one day find its way to the big screen (cinema), then there's a justification to use an HD format. Alternatively, if it is destined for TV and you think that the TV station(s) you have in mind would prefer a HD master, then this also might give you a reason. However, most TV stations that are requiring HD at the moment aim more at feature films and high-value drama. So it is entirely likely at this time that the added expense that the post production might entale for your documentary production in HD, would not be justifyable.

Of course, another reason to shoot HD is to "future proof" your work. This reason might come into play if your project has a long shelf life - i.e. has a historical importance and will be referenced in the future, as opposed to something more topical and "of the moment".

• Premium Member

Hi,

One other reason to shoot on the current Sony HDV cameras is that they're proper widescreen - and (apparently, I don't have this firsthand) make better SD 16:9 pictures than most other handycams.

Phil

MiniDV is definitely still an option. For documentary I often prefer the "harder" edge you get with DV. It all depends on what you're trying to get... Your subject matter, your audience, etc. I've even picked DV over HD on a few projects, just because that "edgy" feel lent itself better to the story being told.

ALWAYS pick the medium to advacnce the story - don't write a story to fit a medium, or try to "fit" a medium to the story. If your doc just won't work right in DV, wait until you can shoot it in HD. If it'll work well in DV but would work better in HD and the difference means waiting a while - GO FOR IT. Don't let the tools limit you - work with what you can get.